Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Monday, August 20, 2012

TOO HOT TO SLEEP ON OUR BOAT


On Saturday we checked out of the Wingate and stayed on the catamaran. That was a mistake! It was not comfortable at all so Sunday back to a different hotel. We are staying at a motel for $48 night including continental breakfast. This motel is only 2 miles from boatyard. Thank goodness for air conditioning. The boat gets very hot in the afternoons. This motel has a microwave so we are back to those dinners for 2 in a bag, we brought the microwave dishes from the boat.

It has rained every afternoon while here (except Sat. afternoon). It lasts about 1 hour and is a downpour! I took a picture this afternoon just before we left. Paul does not want to work outside with the hose and water when there is thunder and lightning going on.

This is looking northwest from our cockpit,
thunder and lightning every afternoon

We went to the lumberyard and got 3 sheets of fir for the ceiling in the flybridge. They delivered for $10 which is a blessing as the car is not the greatest to put stuff on the roof. The ceiling is an unexpected project this trip but must be done this time. We spent more money at West Marine but we needed a new barbeque. We bought the exact one we have used for the last six years.

We park under our boat, shady!
This is a prime parking spot, when we arrived
someone else was parked under our boat

Every Sunday from 11 to 3pm there is a Farmer's Market right across the street from this boatyard at the community centre. This is outside and a nice change from working on the boat. I walked over and the items for sale were awesome. I bought peach turnovers mmmmmm! They even had fancy popsicles, I will try next Sunday the Pear and Stilton …. doesn't that sound interesting? I like blue cheese and I like pear so I would probably like it. Maybe you won't. I want to be hungry so I can try that flavour, who knows where I would see a popsicle like that again. They had others like, Mango/Orange and Raspberry/Banana.

The United States Customs and Border Protection Training Site is right here in a designated area of the boat yard. They have about a dozen of their boats in the yard and about 3 in the water right now. The students go to the community centre's parking lot and practice backing into a spot towing the boat with one of their trucks. This is entertainment for me as sometimes I don't have much to do. I watch them over and over backing in and out, perfecting their technique (or just hoping to pass the test).

These are just a few of many of their boats
Notice how many motors on board, they are super fast

Paul and I had two firsts.... we had take-out at Taco Bell and wasn't too bad. I would go back and try something else. The salads looked great. We had take-out at an Arby's for the first time too. I had a salad and it was delicious! For the first time I watched NCIS and liked it so much I watched two more. It was actually a NCIS marathon on tv, I could have watched more but they did show scenes from the past episodes and I couldn't follow along plus 3 hours of tv seemed enough. We are so tired and freshly showered when are back at motel that we haven't ventured out yet.

A terrible skipper was going back and forth through the anchorage, searching for a place to drop the hook before dark. Looking up to heaven he said, "Lord take pity on me. If you find me a good spot, I will donate to charity, give up the rum, treat women with respect, pay my taxes, and never again give my crew all of the blame and none of the glory!"

Miraculously, the boat with the best spot in the bay began pulling up anchor to leave.
The skipper looked up again and said, "Never mind, I found one myself." Salty Dog



1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's a good one! I really like your parking spot under the boat. Don't boats always look so much bigger when they are out of the water?
Rosemary