Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

HORSES ARE NEARBY


St. Augustine is known for its horses and carriages all over downtown here. The horses and carriages are all kept right next door to the boatyard here. We've seen the horses and their handlers with the carriages leaving and coming back a few times a day. I walked down to see the horses grazing and got a few pictures. The carriages were all covered up as it rains here every day. I learned from a young man that most of the horses are “retired” from their “professions”. There are two race horses that no longer race just walk around town with a carriage. There is Missy Prissy and there is Bob which are two favourites. Most carriages are all decorated with flowers and garland. I know in December 2010 when we were here they were decorated with Christmas garland.

This is Bob the horse
It rained so much in such a short period of time yesterday afternoon that roads were high in water, up to mid-calf in some areas. This afternoon it only rained a little bit so we will walk to a restaurant for dinner. No microwave dinner tonight!!

We've cut the pieces necessary for the ceiling in the flybridge, sanded them and did epoxy too. Tomorrow we will paint them a white finish.

The template from the old ceiling pieces

Paul cutting the new ceiling from the fir

Paul rolling on the epoxy
I had to do important things like go to West Marine for two more items and to a laundromat, anyone remember those days? I think two young women waited a long time to do their laundry. They had eleven loads and I mean the big ones, because the machines today hold everything from pillows to kingsize quilts. I asked myself where did they store all their laundry as it was accumulating? Anyways, suffice it to say I was the oldest one there, yep, laundromats are for young people!!

This is me eating lunch surrounded by tools


Did You Know:
Florida has the longest coastline in the contiguous United States, encompassing approximately 1,350 miles (2,170 km), and is the only state to border both the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I HATE laundromats!
Rosemary

bty...do you REALLY need to have "word verification"? Ity makes leaving comments harder and people often give up. I'm all about the comments. Love them.
Rosemary