Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Saturday, October 20, 2012

OPERATION MAYONNAISE


A typical Canadian (and American) would go to their favourite grocery store about once a week and fill the cart full of produce, dairy and canned goods. This practice is especially the norm if you live outside the city limits and do not work in the city. Now in Europe, one usually goes to pick up a few things at a time each and every day as their fridge is small and who there has a freezer? It uses too much electricity. Now, when we venture to the Bahamas I must have everything on board BEFORE we leave the United States. Last year I did provision a bit more in Nassau but this year we are only in Nassau once on the way to the Exumas and once on the way back. This means I have to plan exactly how many mayonnaises I actually need along with olive oil, pepper, salt, paper towels, kleenix and believe me one needs enough toilet paper on board! This requires a bit of planning (who am I fooling, a lot of planning!!).

I have a detailed list from last year and know what is left over so I will actually buy less of those items, but we ran out of kleenix halfway through our trip last year, so I need to buy double of that. AND if we have the room, Paul would like to store extra beer on board. That means when I get to Stuart in November I will be venturing to the Wal-Mart maybe twice a day. I would rather pay $1.45 for a can of mushrooms now than down in Staniel Cay, $4.50.

After I buy each item, I get rid of all cardboard and put things in ziplocks. Getting rid of garbage is $5 a bag in the Bahamas. I write down where exactly I am putting that item, ie: in guest shower cupboard, bottom shelf. I lost a 12 pack of pepsi for a week once! I have totes with numbers on them and keep track when an item is removed from its spot. This saves so much time in the Bahamas, if I need another jar of mayonnaise, I know exactly which tote or shelf it is on.

So I shop for a 14 week holiday... so our BMO Mastercard will be getting a big workout in the next coming weeks. I love the airmiles so we can visit my parents on Vancouver Island … or our sons can take that trip too.

Enjoy your weekend, Monday will be a blog with pictures of action here on Coyaba.

Did You Know: That here in Florida, 24 of beer could cost as low at $18, in Ontario it is about $34, and then in Staniel Cay, Exumas..... $65!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Buz and I will be in Stuart this weekend, checking up on Steadfast and all the work that has been started and hopefully completed by now. Then on to the boat show in Fort Lauderdale. Just a three day whirlwind trip. Well be back after Christmas to head across the Stream.
See you then.
Rosemary

Vicki said...

Shannon, you are the Queen of Provisioning!! You could teach many people your tricks. You do a fantastic job and I can't believe how you keep track of it all!! Doug says forget the toilet paper and get more beer!! Love Doug & Vicki