Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Thursday, October 11, 2012

A MEMORABLE WELCOME CENTER


We have traveled 2,140 km in three days and had great weather and not too much construction. Of course we went directly to St. Augustine Marine Center as our brand new inflatable arrived just before we did inside a damaged crate. We wanted to check out the crate as soon as possible to make sure the boat inside was not damaged. It looks pretty good but we do have ten days to notify the supplier and return it. So, tomorrow is a day of inflating the new dinghy … I'm sure I will upload a picture or two.
We are staying in St. Augustine at America's Inn with a coupon ($39 for the night). A great room with a microwave and mini fridge. This Inn has an outdoor pool and the heat is not super hot like in August. This will be good working weather.

We always stop at the Florida Welcome Center right after we leave Georgia to get the coupon books, stretch our legs and use the washrooms as do many tourists. Today was an experience. As I was walking back to our car I passed the driver's side of a white suburban truck and saw money on the ground. I looked inside the truck, saw no one so proceeded to pick up all the money. Initially I thought this was all play money as there was so much. I quickly picked it all up and continued back to our car. I showed Paul and counted the money and then waited for the owners of the truck to come back. Paul went to the driver as soon as he arrived and then asked him if he lost any money. … and asked how much and sure enough it was him that lost $1,200 dollars. Yes, my hands were shaking when I was counting all that cash as I felt that someone's holiday money is sitting in my hands. The gentleman was so grateful that wanted to reward Paul but no way was Paul going to take anything. (I was standing further away at our car) This gentleman owns a fishing lure company and we are to send him our address so he can mail some lures to us. We will send him the address here... the St. Augustine Marine Centre as we have stuff arriving every day for the next while. A few lures will come in handy in the salt water... as we are beginners!

"Great opportunities to help others seldom come, 
but small ones surround us every day". - Sally Koch


No comments: