Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Monday, March 4, 2013

TOQUE AND TWO FOUR


When you are from a foreign country there are words or sayings that others do not understand. One Canadian saying that we all know is a two four. If you are not a Canadian then it is not a common term used by you. When I was provisioning in Florida and the cart was full, I told the cashier I had a two four of bottled water under the cart. Do you need to see it? A two four? Yes. She looked at me strange and then I caught on real quick. I mean a case of twenty-four water. Now, if I was in Canada anywhere and said that, the cashier would know exactly what I meant. You see, a two four is what all Canadians buy when they go to get beer.... a 24 pack of beer. (Who buys 12 packs?)... and we refer this term to cases of water or anything that has 24 in it.

Toque.... what is this? Americans have no idea and look real strange at Paul if he says he had to put his toque on. You see a toque is a small hat with no brim. Could be knitted or made of cotton, whatever. Anyone who skis or snowboards always puts their toque on. I keep reminding Paul just say hat down here, they have no idea what you are referring to. Bald people wear toques all year long!

Serviette, yes it is French but it is an English word for napkin. I asked for a serviette in a restaurant in Key Biscayne and that waiter looked dumbfounded. I quickly corrected myself. I asked for a napkin.

I need vinegar on my French Fries, I do not like ketchup. This I know will not happen outside of Canada unless I am in Britain or a British Pub (even then you may have to ask). I actually carry those little vinegar packages that you get at fast food places (in Canada) in my purse. These terms are a give-a-way we are Canadian or a little weird? Our sons like mayonnaise on their French Fries, why?... because they have hung around their Dutch friends. They put mayonnaise on so many things. Mayonnaise on French Fries is NOT Canadian, it is a Dutch thing.

Of course if we talk in Celcius or metric no one understands down here. It is a good thing we grew up with both imperial measurements and metric. The younger generation in Canada do not know Fahrenheit. I could talk about Beavertails and Poutine but the list could be too long.

I write this post because in the Bahamas it is so cool that Paul wore his toque, I could not get vinegar on my French Fries at lunch, I asked for a serviette and it is like 15 outside! The two four of beer that we got from Wal-Mart is really a one eight (18 pack) and I am proud to be a Canadian.

The word “toque” is a French alteration of toca... a Spanish word that describes a 15th-century pageboy haircut.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

You are so funny!! Hope it warms up before we get there because we aren't bringing toques and flannel PJ's!!