Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

I NEVER FORGET

     Remembrance Day (Veteran's Day in the U.S.) is a day for reflection and of being grateful for those that choose to serve their nations. I am from a military family; my father, sister, uncle and both grandfathers all have served in the Canadian military. We now have our own son a Canadian Army Reservist. As a mother, I am glad he chose to go to university last year and not Afganistan. His three good friends went to Afganistan and have just now returned last month after their tour of duty. As a mother, every time I saw or read news in Afganistan I thought of their own mothers and fathers reading or seeing the same news. News of bombs, threats or attacks are all instant for this generation. Think back to the early wars and how a letter would bring joy or would bring sorrow to the families. Our son's friends could communicate frequently home to their family or even their friends via the internet. We knew if they were safe shortly after bad news “on the front”. Wars are different than the early ones but the feelings of the families and friends are all too real and the same. I will remember the ones today that served from wars long ago and I also remember the young ones that have just arrived home last month. I reflect on what freedoms we have today because of those that serve their country whether it is serving in a “war zone” or serving here on the “home front” to help protect our nations and freedoms.


I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind. --John Diefenbaker

No comments: