Coyaba

"COYABA"
Arawak Indian meaning: paradise a place of peace and rest.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

PINEAPPLE PLANTER

Rainy season in Florida means rain fast and furious! Careful driving and for me … careful walking to the marina office. We had flushed all our toilets with fresh water so therefore I needed to walk to the marina office to use the public restrooms there..... I did not realize all the “walking around puddles” that needed to be done in flip flops no less. Needless to say, I may as well have just walked right through the rain puddles because near the end of my journey I needed to get flip flops and feet wet anyway, zero dry spots! Squish, squish on the way back to Coyaba.



We had our kayak on the bow of our catamaran and moved it underneath for the the season, well needless to say a cute frog took up residence and did not appreciate us moving his house. I took a picture of him.



We arrived in Jacksonville for our first night on the road and I found the coolest planter at the entrance of our hotel. I had to take a picture. It is a mini pineapple. Only in Florida (okay, maybe in California too!) but not in Ontario. I loved this plant so much! I wish almost, we could buy a fake one and bring home sometime. 

Isn't this cute? 


We are travelling northward but not on the interstates. We stayed in Charleston, SC last night and tonight we are in New Bern, NC. We were given advise to see Williamsburg, VA on way home so yes, that is tomorrow for lunch. Many historical buildings there and persons that are period dressed. We are “holidaying” our way homeward. It is an American long weekend but does not seem to interfere with us travelling.

Hope all our Canadians enjoyed their long weekend last week.

It takes 18 to 22 months for a pineapple plant to produce a single 4 to 5 pound fruit. About a year later, the plant will produce a second fruit, smaller than the first. Always the symbol of hospitality, the beautiful pineapple was once a rare fruit. So rare in fact, it was called the “fruit of kings.”




No comments: